A project coordinator is a member of the project management team who supports project managers by overseeing administrative tasks, communicating with stakeholders and ensuring resource availability for the project team.
Project coordinators go by a few different titles, such as lead project coordinator, project management coordinator or assistant project manager. There are also industry-specific job titles like construction project coordinator. They are needed in large projects in many industries such as construction, information technology and healthcare.
The project coordinator will coordinate the schedule, budget, issues and risks of the project. It’s their job to make sure the project management framework is well-organized and that it runs smoothly. This can include communicating with various departments in the organization to make sure everyone is on the same page
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, management or a related field
- Minimum 2 years of experience in project coordination, project management roles or related fields.
- Project management certifications: Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM), project management professional (PMP) or similar
- Working knowledge of project management software
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Monitoring project progress and creating project status reports for project managers and stakeholders.
- Assisting with resource scheduling so that team members have the resources they need to complete their tasks.
- Scheduling stakeholder meetings and facilitating communication between the project manager and stakeholders throughout the project life cycle.
- Managing project management documents such as the project plan, budget, schedule or scope statement, as directed by the project manager.
- Executing a variety of project management administrative tasks such as billing and bookkeeping.
- Support team members when implementing risk management strategies.
- Organizing reports, invoices, contracts, and other financial files for easy access
- Ordering necessary office supplies